Thursday, December 11, 2014

Happy Thoughts: Getting in the Holiday Spirit

What? December? Madness!! I didn't even notice the year was quickly drawing to a close...I've been too busy having fun living that Sanford-Centric life! Here are some of the recent happy thoughts that make me glad I live in Downtown Sanford.

Glühwein  

Every time I walk into work at Willow Tree, I'm hit by the glorious, glorious smell of glühwein, a hot German mulled wine flavored with cinnamon, clove, and citrus. Before this year, I had never had it, and now it's my favorite thing! I even made a batch (well...my version of it) for my family's Thanksgiving and we all got a little toasty, if ya know what I mean. I'm normally a bit of a grinch this time of year because the rampant consumerism and the music gives me a headache, but I'm finding everything a bit more cheerful this year thanks to glühwein!
 

Friendsgiving

This is my favorite new holiday tradition! On the Sunday after Thanksgiving, lovely Uptown friends Tammy and Jeb hosted a beautiful holiday party with as they said, "our second family, our wonderful friends!" Everything was straight out of Real Simple magazine, and I'm kicking myself for not taking more pictures of the inside of their house. Jeb cooked a gorgeous, tender turkey and the rest of us provided the sides. I made green bean casserole with the beans cooked in bacon fat, a homemade mushroom cream sauce, and freshly fried onion rings on top. Jeremy made his father's dressing, a French recipe (obvs) containing homemade croutons, mushrooms, liver, and chicken gizzards soaked in duck fat. I was afraid everyone would be scared of it. but everyone told us they loved it! It always feels nice when you walk away from a potluck with a clean dish. We ate outside under the trees and sky, with all the little kids running around while we sipped drinks (Claudia brought more glühwein!) and stuffed our faces. It was an awesome night full of warm and fuzzies, and I can't wait for next year.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Sanford365

In case you were wondering where your regular dose of Sanford-Centric was this month, I've put things on hold while I write posts for one of my neighboring Sanford blogs, Sanford365! If you've never visited Sanford365, it's our town's premiere blog, covering pretty much every event happening in town, with more followers than the City of Sanford, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Welcome Center combined. So, naturally I was honored when Claudia asked me to write for her! It's a major compliment. I've been learning a ton about blogging, and it's so fun to run around and take pictures of events. (And I get to use a real camera, which is why you might have noticed nicer pictures!) I've also written pieces on Sanford life, including why my generation loves to live here and why walking in Downtown Sanford is really awesome. Even though I love it, I'm not quite used to writing this much, so stick with me while I figure out how to balance my blog life!

These days, I'm so excited for what's happening and what's ahead. I feel like I've finally burrowed myself into such a loving place in life, surrounded by the warmest, kindest people I could ask for. Happy Holidays, Sanford Tribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment