Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Martini Monday: Try Harder, Sanford!

Yesterday was Jeremy's first day of school. (*Tear*). 

Sumalee Translation: I had to drive somewhere. In a car, guys.

Every time I have to drive (i.e., go outside my bubble), I like to consolidate all of my non-Sanford-Centric activities together. So after I dropped Frenchie at SSC, I figured I may as well go over to Joann at the mall (aka "the other Sanford") to shop for materials for my show with Luscious Lisa.

Now, bear in mind. SSC is really nowhere near Joann. But everything is relative when you live in Downtown Sanford. (And according to Google Maps, I took the longest route. Whoops.)

It was a pretty worthwhile trip! I scored some 70% off clearance silk flowers for my Celery City bouquet and priced other things for my other acts. When I got back to school, Zach was wearing his Downtown Sanford - Small World shirt! It really excites me when I see people wearing their shirts out and about. We even got the chance to talk about the Sanford Passport with the director of the honors program because she was intrigued about the meaning of our matching shirts. (And that's what this is all about!)

I took a picture with my accidental twinsie, then Jeremy and I went to Burger-Fi. I didn't take pictures because I was embarrassed for spending so much time outside Downtown. Or I was stuffing my face.

Later on, I walked to City Hall for the commission meeting. Word on the street was that Randy Jones (District 3) was planning on reconsidering his vote. Sure enough, he waited until the very end to make a motion to reconsider, after which the entire commission sat around discussing how to deal with this insanity. Once again, I was impressed with how confused our city officials seem to be regarding city policy. Commissioner Williams talked in circles about just how confused she was, and Mccarty threw around personal attacks about other politicians taking campaign money from Cerasoli.


Frankly, their conduct was unbecoming and it made me wonder if these people ever talk to each other outside of these commission meetings. If they do, it doesn't show. Every time I watch these guys in action, my confidence in their knowledge of city policy and the issues on which they're voting is shaken, if not diminished.

Heads up, Randy. If Cerasoli has new information to present, he can present it when he reapplies. You were voting on the information he provided at the time of the last meeting, which was clearly inadequate. Just fyi, "reconsidering" means reevaluating the decision you made based on the information you were last given, not forming a NEW decision based on NEW information. If you already know this, it does not show. (Thanks for referring to yourself as "the boogeyman", though. That was great.)

Now, I do want to give proper kudos to Patty Mahany for questioning why city contracts are consistently awarded to the same companies time after time and sticking to her guns on her Marina vote. She appears to be the only commissioner doing her homework and pushing the other commissioners to be more thorough. The others may be trying. Again, if they are, it doesn't show. #tryharderSanford

Needless to say, I was ready for Martini Monday after that meeting. Lucky for me, the Imperial was open for a private event, so we had our Inaugural Martini Monday at the Imperial! Part of the reason Martini Monday works so well is that most of the Downtown businesses are closed on Monday evenings, so cocktails at home just make sense.

Hank joined us for some post-commission commentary, marking his very first Martini Monday. I even got tipsy enough to ask him questions about certain building owners in town and learned a little about the steps the historic preservation board is taking to help move Sanford forward.

Even though the meeting was a disappointment, it's moments like this when solidarity among citizens is at its most apparent, from wearing our Small World shirts to laughing over Velma saying "minimum requirements" over and over. I feel comforted knowing that even if the process is slow and difficult, we (the royal we) are still motivated to discuss the issues and attempt to find solutions.

Especially if it's over cocktails.




No comments:

Post a Comment