Friday, September 12, 2014

Thirsty Thursday: Workin' It at Washburn's

I've worked a few shift now at Washburn Imports and it's been great! It's so lovely to be surrounded by beautiful furniture all day...I like to pretend it's my house. I've been meeting interesting people every week, many of whom take the Sunrail or drive into town specifically to visit Sanford for the day. It's been a great opportunity to talk about downtown Sanford and guide people to a fun day in town.

(In case you didn't know, I've been filling in shifts at the store because Mark, the general manager, has been stricken with a condition that leaves him unable to walk. We are holding a benefit for Mark on September 17th at the Imperial, so please stop by if you have time! There's more info here.)


On Thursday, we got a new shipment of gorgeous pieces from India and a couple came in and fell in love with a monkey pod wood console, which is always exciting. Toward the end, some people came in on their way to the bar and gave me a cupcake! They let me pick from three, so I went for the one with the banana chip, and it tasted just like banana pudding. Then! I sighted crazy Jim walking outside managed to take a picture. Then! Kendra came in during her picture taking marathon with Rob's portrait and barely missed him!

Afterwards, I went over to the bar side and Keith made me an Aviator. I really enjoy watching the Imperial bartenders do their thing, and I feel privileged to have worked there and be on personal terms with them.

After my two drinks, I braved the Alive After 5 street party and saw Mike and Don outside. It makes me happy to see the same people everywhere, whether at a commission meeting or out having a drink.

Across the street, I ran into Arnaud and Cecile, the French couple who were staying in my apartment while they shopped around for tracts of land on which to build a sustainable bed and breakfast. We had some drinks and appetizers at Willow Tree while we caught up and talked about Sanford.

Back at Bishop Block, Kendra told me how upset she was that Dunkin' Donuts had a booth at Alive After 5 and how the event fails to promote the downtown businesses. This got me thinking about
ways to improve the event and how the businesses could work with the Welcome Center to have a more copacetic relationship. More to come on that, I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment