Monday, September 29, 2014

Field Trip: Kathleen's Klozet

Time for the very first Sanford-Centric Field Trip! To get started, my cronies and I journeyed to a place we were all very curious about, Kathleen's Klozet.

Kathleen's Klozet


Number of Visits: 3
(me and Jeremy, a group of Sanford-Centric friends, and me and Rachel)

Distance from Chez Sanford-Centric: down the stairs, hang a right

Best Described As: a quirky tea room with a lovely selection of vintage clothing
 
Expectations
None of us were exactly sure what to expect. We knew there were vintage clothes and antiques, but that's about it. Jeremy and I pass by the shop multiple times a day, but I was the only person who had been in, and that was just once to try a dress on. I got a great response from my friends when I asked if anyone wanted to join me, and we were all very excited to drink tea. (I don't know about you, but when I drink tea, it's usually rather sloppily out of a huge mug at home, rather than daintily out of a cup and saucer. Novelty!)
Impressions
The biggest favor you can do yourself is just go inside! Look past the overcrowded front window, don't worry about the lack of signage, and just GO IN. We all agreed that the exterior of the store does not give an accurate impression of the treasure inside. Once you step in, you'll see what we did: the decor is adorable, the clothing selection is kick-ass, and there's a puppy!
But what is really impressive about Kathleen's Klozet is the tea service. Kathleen helped us all pick out a blend of tea from her cabinet, then presented it to us alongside pretty china and a plate of homemade scones. Jeremy and I could not stop loading each scone with lemon curd, and we ate the entire plate of eight. (Whoops.) My friends also got to tuck into pumpkin bread and what they described as "to die for" buttercream cupcakes. Later on in the meal, Kathleen served finger sandwiches, including chicken salad, cucumber with cream cheese, and turkey with avocado. I was very satisfied after tea and sandwiches and would consider it a full meal for myself.



I found the vintage clothing delightfully distracting while we were having tea, and knew I had to have a dress up session. Of course, I went for the silk teal dot number first (too small for my ribcage!!), and Kathleen pointed out a sharp black taffeta dress with plaid accents that I ended up loving. My friends actually got dressed up before tea time to get in the mood, which I now regret not doing. We were all very impressed by the selection.

For such a singular experience, everything is very well priced. The tea and food came out to about $12 a person, which is an excellent value considering the unique offerings and generous portions. This is the perfect venue for bridal or baby showers.
Kathleen herself is very knowledgeable about the tea and clothing, and of course makes all of the food herself. While she isn't especially forthcoming at first, she quickly turns into Chatty Kathleen when you express interest in the shop or compliment her offerings. She takes pride in the shop and I am happy she has joined the neighborhood.

Bottom Line
We all had a great time! Go have lunch and a cuppa at Kathleen's. You will not be sorry! (Also, invite me!)

Here is Kathleen's Facebook Page.

If you visit Kathleen, feel free to tell me about your experience at sumaphelia@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment