Monday, October 20, 2014

Food Roundup: Fine Tastes and Cheap Eats

I have had some amazing meals in the past two weeks. First on the docket: roasted leg of lamb from Buster's Bistro. If you love food and haven't made it out for Harry's Thursday night specials, then what are you living for? Perfectly cooked meat, delicious sauces, a Belgian beer pairing, this weather, and Harry in an apron? I really don't feel like I need to say more.
 
I also had my inaugural Celery City sandwich. I chose the Palmetto because I can't resist carmelized onions, and let's face it, Palmetto Ave is my street! Toasty and delicious, it went great with my new favorite beer of the moment, Cigar City Fight the Power. If you like green apple Jolly Ranchers, you have to try this beer! It's currently at Celery and the Imperial, but not for long.
I love to shop at the Magnolia Square Market for lunch, but I have really been slacking in the grocery shopping department! This week I decided to buy a wedge of merlot-soaked cow's cheese, "seedy" bread, and pâté. Oh my god, talk about some amazing breakfasts. Today, I'm eating the pâté on Breton crackers with a kale salad while I'm at Washburn's. Heaven!
At home, I'm normally a ramen junkie, but lately I've been going wild with fried rice. My favorite so far has been with chopped ginger and garlic, then topping with a sunny side up egg, cilantro, green onions, avocado and soy sauce.
Last night Jeremy made Cajun sea trout and okra and tomatoes. I don't like to buy farm raised fish, so when I saw that wild sea trout was about $2/lb, I just thought what the hell. We got half a pound, which Jeremy breaded and fried with the skins on, and I gotta say, not bad! Delicious with a bite of the side dish and some Crystal hot sauce. Definitely a good option for those of us on college kid budgets, and a nice (and cheaper) alternative to catfish, which is almost always farm raised when I see it.
And speaking of cheap eats, we got some excellent Cajun boiled peanuts at Bagg's Produce while we were shopping last week. Say what you will about Bagg's, but we got beautiful tomatoes, a ton of okra, onions, garlic, bell peppers, a florida avocado and a half pound of peanuts for exactly $8. Sumalee out!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment